Home Tech Trends:
For Roof Leak Repairs
The most common cause of roof leaks is the deterioration of the rubber boots that cover the vent pipes penetrating the roof. In the past, replacing the boot required:
1. Pry up the roofing nails used to attach the old flashing.
2. Gently lift up the shingles above the flashing.
3. Lift the flashing off the vent pipe.
4. Slide the new flashing over the vent pip.
5. Tuck the uphill part of the flashing under the shingles.
6. Fasten the new flashing with galvanized roofing nails.
7. Apply a dab of roofing sealant to the nail heads and bottom tabs of the shingles that were disturbed.
Although the process is fairly straightforward, it did require some level of expertise and left the possibility for damaging the roof singles.
Permaboot is made of a durable hard plastic; it is a gasket-less two piece vent boot that simply slides over the existing roof vent and rubber boot. Installation takes just a few minutes and no tools are required. One design works on all standard roof pitches (3/12 to 12/12).
Permaboot is a far simpler and less expensive solution to replacing the rubber boot, and it is guaranteed to be leak free for the life of the roof shingles.
If you enjoy reading our blog, please SUBSCRIBE.
The Scott Loper Team
Scott & Lisa Loper